May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be…light!
Kari Joys of Journey to Light-Heartedness has Seven Tips for Managing Holiday Stress:
Holidays can be very stressful! There are so many things to get done, so much pressure and so many expectations. Often we forget to take care of ourselves in the process and that’s when the stress becomes overwhelming.
Here are some tips to keep you emotionally balanced during the holidays:
1. Breathe deeply throughout the day. Breathing helps you stay in the moment and release any stress that’s accumulated.
2. Stay in touch with what you are feeling and cry when you need to cry. Remember that no one is to blame for your feelings; crying just helps you release anything that is painful.
3. Use positive self-talk to counteract anxiety and stress, for example, you could say, “This doesn’t have to be perfect — it’s the love that matters!”
4. Ask a friend to share a listening half hour with you. One of you listens while the other talks for 15 minutes each; and the listener says only “Thank-you for sharing.” By doing this, you will both feel more loved and supported. (Remember not to give unasked-for advice.)
5. Take time to go for a walk in nature. While you’re walking, say positive affirmations to yourself or focus on what you are thankful for in your life.
6. Make a list of what needs to be done and cross things off your list when they’re completed. Congratulate yourself for everything that gets done, even if it doesn’t go the way you planned!
7. Keep your sense of humor. When things don’t work out perfectly, look at the funny side of it all! Ask yourself, in ten years when you look back, what will you be laughing about?